Hannah and I went along to the Muir Matters AGM last Tuesday to find out more about the Communication Group’s work on Muir Matters over the past year and their future plans. We were impressed about the quality and volume of work that this small group manages to achieve. Their quarterly magazine has grown in size, content and distribution and is essential reading for those of us who live and work, in and around, the Muir of Ord.
This takes considerable time and effort, made much easier when the workload is shared. The Group would warmly welcome all kinds of support. Please read on to find out more:
Our quarterly Community Magazine now finds its way into around 800 households and we reckon is read by over 3,000 people.
We outsource the printing but everything else is done in-house by a very small band of enthusiastic volunteers.
The numbers seeking to advertise in Muir Matters are increasing. Advertising costs are really good value from £10 for a small ad, £25 for a quarter page, £50 for a half page and £100 for a full page.
We need help! We meet on Tuesday mornings in the Communications Group office in the Library building 9.30 – 12 noon
We need people to help with distribution
- delivering the magazine to local shops.
- Checking regularly in order to top up supplies when needed
- Collecting the money from the shops at regular intervals
- Putting up and taking down notices advertising the magazine
We need help with attracting advertisers- advertising sales
- Contacting local businesses
We are looking for help with invoicing advertisers
- Sending out invoices
- Sending out reminders
- Checking payments
- Chasing up late payers
- Finding out if advertisers wish to continue to advertise in the next issue
- Dealing with cheques
- Counting and banking monies from sales
- Counting and banking monies from donations
- Keeping account of all monies received
- More regular contributors of articles of interest to our readers are needed
- Reporters of all ages to go out and get stories, interview people and write up are required
Putting the magazine together
- Help from folk who have IT and possibly graphic design skills would be valuable
- Proof readers
- Working with a good team, enjoying good craic and unlimited coffee and tea!