Muir of Ord (Tarradale) Community Council – Approved April 2017 Minutes

Muir of Ord (Tarradale) Community Council


Pavilion, Muir of Ord

Thursday 13th April 2017 @ 7.30pm

Present:          Frances MacGruer (FM); Stephen Mackenzie (SM); Carol Blanchard (CB); Wilma Mackenzie (WM); Paul Whitham (PW)

Others:            Irene Macleod (IM), Annie Morrison, R Morrison, Willie Bell, Caroline Bell, Jo Ellen (Minutes)


1. Apologies for Absence & Welcome
  There were apologies from Mike Atkinson (MA); Jem Taylor (JT); Cllr Jean Davis (JD)


2. Minutes of Previous meeting (Thursday 9th March 2017)

The minutes were proposed as a true reflection by CB and seconded by FM with the following amendment:

·         Page 7, Action 14: Change SM to FM


3. Matters Arising from Minutes
  New Christmas Lights
  FM has the numbers of the lights that are not working and she will forward this information to Stuart Bruce at HC as soon as possible.


  Access to Old Railway Path (off Hawthorn Drive)
  MA will update at the next meeting.


  SIMD and crime rates in MOO
  MA will update at the next meeting.


  HGV Issues – Contact with Steve Barron
  FM will send the letter she has drafted round the CC members for comment. This will then be sent to Steve Barron at HC.


  Contact with Lochluichart Estate
  SM has tried to make contact with the Estate on several occasions. Nina Graham, Community Development Manager is now assisting in the hope that this will prompt a response.


  Joan Munro was not present to give an update.


  Contact with Insp David Ogilvie
  See item 4, Police Report.


  Urray Cemetery Update
  FM anticipated an update at the next meeting.


  Contact with SSE
  FM advised that she contacted Trevor MacFadyen at SSE request a trace the cables at the planter sites. IM provided an update stating that George Leslie Ltd can do this, so FM will advise Trevor he is no longer needed.


  Village Tidy Up Group
  See item 12.


  Defibrillator Training
  FM advised that she has contacted several local businesses including the Co-op, Blythswood and the Hub regarding defibrillator training for staff.  It is hoped that there will be enough interest to run two nights of training. The second night, is possible will be opened up to hall user groups.


FM has spoken to the Co-op Maintenance person requesting he do the electrical work to allow the defibrillator to be installed at the Co-op.


  Proposed Mobile Phone Mast Update
  FM advised that JT was unsuccessful in getting Galliford Try to agree to a public consultation on the installation of a new Mobile Phone mast in the village.  The erection of the 15m high mast has now been agreed and will go ahead at a site opposite the filling station on Great North Road.   Despite this she wished to thank JT for all his hard work and persistence with this.


  Golf Club Bushes
  FM has written a letter to the golf club and will deliver it in person so she can raise the issue of the messy bushes along Great North Road.


  Tarradale Primary Letter
  FM will hand a letter to the school congratulating them on getting to the final of the Eco Friendly Garden competition.


4. Police Report
  FM advised that PC MacDonald was unavailable so gave the following report for crimes and offences between 01/03/17 and 01/04/17 which have been detected and non-detected:


·         4 – Road Traffic Offences / Speeding / Mobile Phone Offences

·         2 – Person charged with Possession of Drugs

·         3 – Fixed Penalty’s for Anti-Social Behaviour / Drinking in Public

·         4 – Assistant and Advice Calls

·         6 – Youth disorder calls

·         Officers dealt with non-criminal complaints also


  FM advised that following recent concern in the village about incidences of antisocial behaviour, PC  MacDonald and Nina Graham, Company Development Manager arranged a meeting at the Police Station in MOO on Thursday 23rd March.   FM attending along with representatives from other local clubs and groups including the Hub and the Skate Park, many of whom have been affected by the issues.  FM reported that this was a very positive meeting and a number of actions have arisen out of it:

1.      PC MacDonald will visit local youth groups and talk to the youngsters about antisocial behaviour in addition to highlighting the implications of a criminal record to their future.

2.      PC MacDonald will attend the next Skatepark committee meeting.

3.      PC MacDonald will work with Nina Graham to address the issue of littering in the village.

4.      Nina Graham will contact Di Agnew & Cllr AM about CCTV cameras that do not work in the village and to get a resolution regarding the Martin Forbes property that has a smashed glass door (which is not being fixed).


  A brief discussion took place on this with general agreement that these actions should improve the situation in the village.  It was also highlighted that there have been some issues at the new Bridge site. FM will discuss this will Allan Turner from George Leslie Ltd.


5. Financial Report
  SM gave an update of the accounts as of 31st March 2017 stating the Account Balance is £31,255.64 made up from:


Restricted funds

Square to Square – £2,585.00

SSE Micro Grants – £0.00

Auchmore Micro Grants – £800.00

Carbon Clever Community Fund – £21,665.00


Unrestricted Funds

Working money & Reserve – £6,205.64


  Microgrant Applications
  There was one application for £250 from Moo Food for initial company set up costs, including bank, email domain and marketing expenses.  PW declared a conflict of interest and did not contribute to the discussions.  All the other committee members present agreed to this being awarded.


6. Update – Community Groups
  There were no updates to report.


7. Update – Planning Issues
  FM advised that there were no issues to report.


8. Post Office Issues
  There was no update on this.


9. Urray Cemetery
  There was no update on this issue.


10. Village Square – Going Forward
  There was no update on this issue.


11. Moo Food
  PW read out an update from Emma Whitham advising that Moo Food are planning to plant 25 fruit trees (plum, apple, pear and cherry) in park area off Black Isle Road, near School Loch. Several local people are keen to share their knowledge on what grows best in the village so the exact number of each type of tree will be based on this advice.   Emma has discussed this plan with HC (as the landowner), the Curling Club and the Halls & Facilities Company and all have been extremely positive.  Funding will now be applied for over the summer to allow this to happen.  It is hoped that planting can then take place in late autumn, with the assistance of the local Scout group.


  Emma has also applied for a microgrant (as discussed in Item 5, Financial Report) to help with the costs involved with the company set up costs.


12. Dog Fouling – Lily Loch Area
  There was no update on this.


13. AOB
  Playpark Fencing
  FM advised that she was approached by a resident of Corrie Gardens who is dismantling a wooden fence and has offered to re-erect it at the local playpark and then maintain it.  FM forwarded this offer on to Doug Miles at HC to see if this was acceptable but unfortunately this was not an option he could agree to. HC, however, have been out to the playpark and have agreed that a metal fence would be appropriate.  They are pricing this and will then come back with the cost.   Once this is received it is hoped that funds can be made available from the Planning Gain Fund.


  Highland Third Sector Interface (HTSI) Roadshows
  FM advised that HTSI is supporting the delivery of a series Community Planning Partnership  roadshows in April/May.  These are designed to engage communities and third sector organisations in the development of various planning activities happening within the public sector.  If anyone would like more information they can contact FM or go to:


  Big Bike Revival 2017
  FM advised that this is a program of local cycling and bike related events in May and June 2017.  It is an initiative to support the Scottish Government’s vision of 10% of journeys by bike by 2020.   If anyone would like further information they can contact FM or go to


  Castlehill Carpark
  FM read out an email from WM which expressed her concerns about the recent Muir Matters article (listed in the MOO CC section) about dumping at the Castlehill carpark.  This was prompted after the issue was highlighted at the CC meeting on 8th December 2016.   WM felt that the article did not report accurately the situation and was purely based on the reports given at the meeting.  It appeared that the facts had not been checked and this did not reflect well on both MOO CC or Muir Matters.  She urged that in future any article published in the name of MOO CC should be verified as correct before printing.


  In response FM agreed that any media or documentation attributed to the CC should be correct and verified if necessary in the future.  She emphasised, however, that the Castlehill carpark issue is a complex one involving residents of the area and the CC will not be taking any further part in this dispute.   If any individuals have concerns or complaints regarding the carpark they will need to raise this with HC.


  Gardening Club
  IM asked if the CC will be able to provide the funds to purchase summer plants for the village, as they have done previously.  The committee present were happy to pre-authorise this (as long as the total cost does not rise significantly from previous years).


  Tesco Bags of Help Update
  IM advised that the new planters for the village entrances have arrived and look fantastic. They are being stored at the Black Isle Show ground until they can be moved into place.  She is meeting with Duncan Robertson from George Leslie Ltd shortly to discuss the ground works required for installation.   Their support with this work is greatly appreciated.


In addition IM advised that George Leslie Ltd have kindly agreed to donate a trophy to the Flower Show in August which will be gratefully received.


  New Bridge Publicity
  CB advised that she will be working with representatives from George Leslie Ltd to write an article for the paper on the new bridge.  As part of this she will be including details of the generous amount of time workers from the project have given to supporting individuals and groups in the community.


  Bank of Scotland – Beauly
  SM advised that Bank of Scotland are planning to close their Beauly branch which will have implications for residents of MOO and the wider area.   He will liaise with Beauly CC to establish if they would appreciate a letter from MOO CC urging the retention of the branch.


14. Date of Next Meeting
  Thursday 11th May 2017 @ 7.45 pm at the Hub, Muir of Ord.  FM will put a sign on the door of the Pavilion to ensure anyone who turns up there can go in time to the Hub.

The meeting finished at 8.10pm



Ref Who Action When
1 FM To give Stuart Bruce details of the Christmas Lights that are not working ASAP
2 MA To provide an update on the Old Railway Path issue ASAP
3 MA To provide information for a Muir Matters article on SIMD and crime rates in MOO ASAP
4 FM To send a letter to  Steve Barron at HC about the HGV problem in MOO ASAP
5 SM To contact Lochluichart Estate regarding the placement of a planter at the Conon Bridge entrance to the village ASAP
6 FM To let Trevor McFadyen at SSE know that George Leslie Ltd will trace the cables at the planter sites ASAP
7 FM To deliver a letter to the Golf Club and ask them to tidy the bushes along Great North Road ASAP
8 SM To deliver a letter to Tarradale Primary School to congratulate them on making the finals of the Eco Friendly Garden competition ASAP
9 FM To speak to Allan Turner at George Leslie Ltd about issues of antisocial behaviour at the new Bridge site ASAP
10 SM To contact Beauly CC regarding the BOS closure plan and see if they would like a letter of support ASAP