Muir of Ord (Tarradale) Community Council – Approved June 2019 Minutes

Muir of Ord (Tarradale) Community Council

MINUTES

  The Muir Hub, Muir of Ord

Thursday 27th June 2019 @ 7.30 pm

Present:          Jean Davis (JD) – Chair, Frances MacGruer (FM), Mike Atkinson (MA), Duncan Chisholm (DC), Carol Blanchard (CB).

Others:            Cllr Graham MacKenzie (GM), Cllr Angela MacLean (AM), Cllr Margaret Paterson (MP), Ally Reid, Kenny Matheson, Robin Jackson, Gilmour Green & B&B Lady (unknown).

1. Apologies for Absence & Welcome
  There were apologies from Cllr Alister MacKinnon (AMcK), Stephen MacKenzie (SM) – Treasurer, Jo Ellen (minutes), Moira Chalmers (MC),  & Joan Munro.   JD welcomed those present to the meeting.  
2. Minutes of Previous Meeting
  The minutes of the meeting on Thursday 9th May 2019 were proposed as a true reflection by MA and seconded by DC, with agreed amendments to be made. 5. Financial Report – para 3 to read paid role not paid person and para 4 to read the current Development Manager not Hannah. 6. Community Groups – Hall & Facilities Co. para 1 to read an application by the Development Trust (MHFC) for funding, para 4, last sentence to read These were scheduled for replacement after this meeting to hopefully resolve the repeated issues.  
3. Matters Arising from Minutes
  MacDonald Bequest Update
  No update on payment of the Tree Officers Recommendations. To be carried forward to next meeting.  
  Road Sweeper Update
  Cllr AMK will check the situation as all agreed this post is important to the area.  No update on this carry forward to next meeting.  
  Printing options for CC newsletter
  DC will establish the options and costs once the content of the next edition is confirmed.  
  Restoration of path on the Burton Estate
  MA hopeful of paths restoration following completion of the works, await results to be reported.  
  Blocked Gullies Both works completed, no further action.  
  Replacement Play Equipment Update £3000 available from Discretionary Budget towards Play Equipment, the price quoted is £16,000 for 2 pieces to be replaced like for like.  Needs wider discussion as it was felt the Community are not aware of these costs and the pressure the CC is under to replace said items.   DC suggested it should be part of the Big Picture event and maybe negotiate a lower price.  DC also stated that if this was a private developer this would be part of planning conditions and paid for by them.  Should the community start to do this as if they do it will have to continue.  It was agreed to park this until the Big Picture 2 event is realised.   Next Business Breakfast This was held on the 25th June in the Hub – DC said there is 40 places available and 26 businesses registered, from this 3 were from Muir of Ord.  There was 2 from Business Gateway in attendance which was very informative for access to funding and resources.  It is a great networking event and there has been a positive engagement with the Hub.  DC was however disappointed that that was arranged at the request of a local business, yet they don’t attend.  DC is concerned about the cost that is incurred by the sponsor, the Press and Journal.  JD agreed that the businesses locally should be supporting and working with the CC on this and what could we do to encourage and engage with the local business community, to maybe the CC host.  CB agreed and was happy to personally invite the business in the industrial estate on behalf of the CC.  CB & DC to liaise on this and get this organised for about 3 months time.   Update on Big Picture 2 This is not happening short term, Mr Tim Stott Dev. Plans Team is talking about the Local Development Plan process later in the meeting.  RGI/UHI would be an idea to use a 3rd year student to facilitate, deliver and complete this project.  CC has admin money to use if need be, DC spoke to both Universities and they were both keen to discuss further.   Volunteers Night JD thanked everyone who organised volunteersnight, it was a great success and lovely to see so many volunteers and amazing how many people do volunteer in the village.  
   
4. Future of SSE Fairburn Fund  
Micro Grants were discussed and it was suggested to increase micro grant application to up to £500 to encourage the groups to apply and to maybe consider increasing the microgrant amount from £2,000 annually to £3,000 as the £5,000 set aside for up to £1,000 grants is not being used.  This source of funding may run out after 25 years so we need to be sure this money is used wisely for the future of the village.  It was suggested that if need be should we invest this money in keeping our Development Manager at the Hub and possibly invest in a Fund chaser type position.  Presently the Hall & Facilities Co. are looking at funding applications to keep Dev Manager at the Hub there is funding out there to look into.  MA suggested that if funds cannot be gained by other means then should this fund be used and if so for how many years, FM proposed 2 years and review again then, if necessary, it was agreed this position is vitally important to the Community.   From the Auchmore fund we receive £2,500 annually for the Micro Grant Scheme.  

Item 10 Highland Council Development Plans Team was brought forward as Tim Stott from Development Plans Team arrived. Inner Moray Firth Local Plan – Call for Sites This Plan is reviewed every 5 years, this is the main document that HC Planning Dept look at when making a decision in principle to planning.  The public can however make comments online at this early stage if they are not happy about any sites put forward for development in the future.  This is the same for Community led projects, the proposal should be in at this review.  This then adds weight to any funding bids for any such projects if it appears in the Plan.  The deadline for this is 29th July, so now is the time to address this.   Mainly land owners and development companies who wish to endorse sites/fields to be included in this, but the CC should be aware of any concerns due to this i.e. roads/schools/facilities etc.   Developers Contributions are then set by Planning to seek funds to offset the impact on Communities, it sits at £1000 per house now and this sits in a Community Facilities Fund which can be used to provide new or upgrade facilities, to cope with the increase of people.   It is a difficult and lengthy legal process if developers find it difficult to use the proposed land included in a Local Dev Plan, which results in an independent review.   There is a recent new planning act for local placed plans to produce their own land use plan.  Detailed guidance on this to be prepared which will take about 2 years but will need to be produced along with funding.  Applecross recently did this through their Community Development Trust.   Planning Aid Scotland helped with funding and producing this.  Scottish Government want to promote this within Communities.  HC departments are also happy to help with the creation of this.   JD asked was there a short-term call for sites on Community Development Trusts.  MA read out the most recent Local Development Plan from 5 years ago, JD stressed what do we do now.  This opened a full discussion on what issues we would need to raise by the end of July.  Does the Community have a need to increase houses/people, list of Development funded projects, Black Isle Development issues with roads/safety.  DC raised the school being oversubscribed and the future planning for replacement.  MA stressed that the school has to be over 90% before Developer Contributions will be increased to cover this, at the moment it sits at 75%.   New planning act on Local Development Plan to change from 5 year to 10 year land supply plan with Development then up to 5 years, then for 5 to 10 years.    Tim Stott was asked if because of increased number to the village/town would there be a chance that the local authority would subsidise a Sports Facility – this would not be fully funded but he encouraged the inclusion of future plans to the local authorities.   JD summed up with the need to decide what to do going forward and to list the wants for the village.  MA to put a map round and wish list to include, sports hall, land, parking, water & sewerage.   JD & MA thanked Tim Stott for his time and information it was greatly received and very much appreciated.
   
5. Police Report
PC James MacIver delivered the Police Report and apologised for not being in attendance the previous month.  As with the April report the Anti-Social Behaviour has reduced drastically. Report to be attached to minutes.   MA informed that there were groups drinking in the park there was damage to one of the benches and the toilets were regularly being vandalised.  PC MacIver said that this was not reported but he would watch out for this but obviously they can only patrol certain areas and maybe giving them the equipment to hang about is not helping.  MA also said the toilets were slowly being damaged over a few weeks but again it was not reported.  MA to ask Emma of MOO Food to re-situate the bench further into the park and hopefully this will discourage the youth from damaging it.  PC MacIver again encouraged all present to report all incidents as this is the only means of information that they have, to target areas.   Unfortunately, PC MacIver is having difficulty arranging a suitable date and time for a drop in session at the Hub due to staff availability but he is keen to organise something for the end of July for youth & volunteers.  
6. Financial Report – No Report Available  
7. Update – Community Groups   Village Hall MA confirmed on behalf of the MHFC, that the new drains have been laid and the project is now completed at the hall.   
8. Roads, Paths & Safety Issues
It was reported that there was yet another accident at the crossroads in the village, there was no severe injuries but it is vital that something is done with this junction.  
9. Community Action
Planning – Application for demolishing the Old Moorings Hotel and the planning application for 3 houses discussed and all happy with this report.   Lochan Corr Development – no further update.   JD raised the Town Centre Fund and what our needs for the village would be for the centre there are several projects discussed including tidying up round the hall, parking issues in the square and the need to make it more welcoming for the businesses in the area.  Christmas lights need replaced and the area of land on the west side of the bridge that was landscaped by George Leslie, that has resulted in a wasteland look.   It was believed that the wasteland was part of a contract to George Leslie and this should be chased up with HC.  The hall tidy up – the MHFC are arranging through Hannah (MHFC Development Manager) to get the temporary sited container removed and hopefully a tidy up will take place then.   JD advised that a bid could be placed for this Fund through Diane Agnew (HC Ward Manager)   DC suggested its worth paying for a professional/business to plan a project and manage this.  After a full discussion and the aims suggested DC and Ally Reid agreed to do the ground work and speak to those with information to fulfil a bid to this fund.  
10. AOB Grass cutting – a huge issue about the village, the place looks really untidy. GM to take this on as he received a complaint from a resident on the grass at Urray Cemetery and is speaking to Robbie Bain on this.     Dog Poo Bins – FM received a complaint about the Dog Poo Bins at the Black Isle Showfield, MA said he would speak to SM on this subject.    
11. Date of Next Meeting
  Next Meeting is to be held on Thursday 12th September 2019 @ 7.30 pm in the Hub, Muir of Ord.   
  The meeting finished at 9.50pm  

Actions:

Ref Who Action When
1 Cllr AM To update if the MacDonald Bequest will be used to pay for the Tree Officers recommendations for the Urray Cemetery ASAP
2 Cllr AMK To check if there will be a replacement Street Sweeper in MOO ASAP
3 DC To investigate local printing options for the A5 CC newsletters ASAP
4 MA To publicise the new Police drop-in sessions when the first one starts ASAP
5 MA To make informal enquiries about the restoration of the core path on the old railway line –  when works complete. ASAP
6 MA / DC Big Picture 2 consultation plans & plans of funding to replace damaged play equipment. ASAP
7 DC/CB Next Business Breakfast – September 19 Generate the attendance of local businesses. ASAP
8 MA List for Local Development Plan ASAP
9 DC Town Centre Fund Application ASAP
10 GM Grass Cutting Issues in Village and Urray Cemetery ASAP
11 MA/SM Removal/Empty Dog Poo Bins BIS Ground ASAP